- Identifying a specific project or outcome that the student is capable of handling.
- Developing a challenging but realistic task that the student is able to accomplish within a 6–10 week period.
- Demonstrating for the student how the assignment relates to the overall goals of the community partner organization.
- Offering a willingness to work with faculty at the University to establish specific learning objectives for the student.
- Encouraging professionalism by assisting the student in the development of skills in human-relations, decision-making, and time management.